Monday, November 9, 2009

Monday Movie Meme - Life Changing Films

I feel like I blinked and it was Monday - Seriously!  Now the Bumbles have asked us this week what movies changed our lives?  That is hard stuff.  For real.  Got a few though.



The Red Violin - If you have not seen it you must.  It is a fabulous story of interwoven tales and showed me how truly great a film could be.  Should I ever make a film half so good I would die happy.







Here are a few a lot of people will not think of, for less monumental reasons.


Real Genius -  I quote it all the time and if it changed the way I speak it changed my life. 



Labyrinth - Bog of Eternal Stench is forever a part of my discourse and it proves that muppets and humans can live together in harmony some place other then Sesame Street.  Oh and David Bowie...



The Princess Bride - If you can honestly say this is not a great film I can honestly say I no longer trust your movie opinion.



South Park - have any of us ever looked at cartoons the same way again?  Ever time I meet someone named Kyle - Cartman tries to slip out in my voice.  I walked into a classroom and had a High School freshman ask me if I had a soul since I was a ginger - I said I am a bottle ginger so yes - yes I do.  


I another student floored me when he came out with a hugely astute observation while discussing South Park and the Simpsons - We were discussing how very contemporary South Park is with current events and bless his little heart this thug of a boy turns to me and says "It makes me wonder if South Park will be as funny years down the line when people rewatch it since in is so very contemporary and dependant on current events for it's humor.   Without the context behind the joke will younger generations still follow the show. "  Floored me after haveing had the kid in class all week as his sub.


Plus it is true - Will Cartman going into PF Changs to find out about the Chinese Invasion plan dressed up in a rediculous outfit and saying, "Hello fellow Chinks," ever NOT be funny?  



The Pillow Book - Introduced me to Asian film and it is stunning - also had my first full frontal male nudity - now I have HBO - Love Rome - but Marc Antony is forever showing his junk - not that I mind.


The three films that I have thought the strongest through High School and that made it through 4 years of film school without slipping just flip flopping order 


American Psycho


American Beauty


American History X

Hope you all enjoyed I managed a few this week.
Good movie watching to you all.


Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger The Bumbles said...

Oooo - American History X was a goodie wasn't it? I really did not like American Psycho though. I just don't enjoy Christian Bale. I have heard of the Red Violin but have not seen it yet. I will soon with your strong recommendation.

November 9, 2009 at 8:06 PM  
Blogger Sandy Nawrot said...

American Beauty was something. I think it hit on more than a few taboo subjects, and was extremely well acted. I also loved American History X as well. This was a tough question this week, but you did great!

November 10, 2009 at 2:58 AM  
Blogger Forgetfulone said...

Labyrinth was indeed a good movie! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

November 10, 2009 at 5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home